4 thick salmon steaks
2.5cm/1in piece root ginger, peeled and cut into small,
very thin slices
2 large cloves garlic, peeled and cut into small, very thin slices
350g/12oz tomatoes, peeled and halved
1 fresh red chilli, de-seeded and sliced as finely as possible
(or else add 1 tb spoon red chilli powder for an indian taste)
400ml/14fl oz tinned coconut milk
salt - as per taste
2 limes, juice only
10-15 curry leafs
1. Put the fish steaks in a fairly shallow ovenproof dish
with a lid, into which they fit quite closely.
2. Scatter the ginger, garlic, tomato and chilli pepper over and around the fish.
3. Empty the coconut milk into a separate bowl, add a good sprinkling of sea salt and gradually stir in the lime juice. Pour the mixture gently over and around the fish and cover the dish.
4. Preheat the oven to 150C/300F. Put the dish on the centre shelf and cook for 40-50 minutes, until the fish is lightly done. To discover this insert a small, sharp knife into the centre of one of the steaks,if the flesh is slightly darker pink in the centre it will be perfectly cooked. Remove from the oven.
5. Before serving scatter the curry leaves on top.